Halloween is surely creeping in. While candy and other various treats will fill their bags, our little ghouls won’t be receiving dental floss and toothpaste on their annual journeys throughout neighborhoods, shouting “Trick or Treat” at every door. Instead, they will be handed all of the chewy goodies dentists’ fear the most, so we’ve taken the time to relay some health tips to parents to keep this year’s All Hallows experience safe and healthy (courtesy of the American Dental Association).
• Consume sugary treats shortly after mealtimes. Once activated during mechanical digestion of food, saliva production increases and helps rid the mouth of harmful acids and bacteria in the mouth.
• Steer clear of the sweets that linger in the mouth for a long time, like taffies and hard candies. Sticky or overly chewy candies are the prime suspects in the crime of tooth decay.
• As always, drink more water!
• Eat a balanced diet. Adhering to the nutritional needs of your body helps ensure a healthy set of teeth and gums.
• Stay away from soda, sports drinks, and other sugar-added beverages that seek to enhance flavor.
• Chew sugarless gum twenty minutes after consumption of meals. Saliva, which is activated during the mechanically digestive action of chewing, helps to neutralize acids and wash out food particles, thus reducing the risk of tooth decay.
• Stock up on ADA-accepted fluoride toothpaste. Remember to also replace your toothbrush every three to four months, or when the bristles have frayed.
• Floss at least once per day to remove decay-causing bacteria that toothbrushes just can’t tackle.
• Most importantly, visit your dentist regularly!
The team at Smile Haven Dental Center wishes you a very happy Halloween! We offer affordable prices to make your smile as contagious as can be. Contact us at (860) 584-2051 with questions or appointment-scheduling inquiries.